NLP Techniques: Master Mapping Across NLP!
Mapping Across you could say is the DNA of NLP modeling.
In the way it's usually used though is to model one of your resourceful states instead of modeling someone else.
You can use Mapping Across to bring resource states into an unresourceful state or a problematic situation in your life so that you can resolve it.
It can also be used to create peak performance states in situations where you need to be on your game.
You can even Map Across flow states into areas of your life where you're overly self-conscious and you don't perform as well as you could be performing.
Remember, your resources don't suddenly disappear when you're not fulfilling your potential. You're just not accessing your resources.
Mapping Across is a great way to reconnect you to your resources in any situation so that you can fulfill your potential and be in charge of your A game.
Below is a Mapping Across checklist, which is best used along with this video Peter Schwartz just created on Mapping Across.
Let me know what your results are!
1. Elicit a problem situation you would like to resolve.
2. Elicit a situation that is similar to the problem situation but that you perform at very well in a way that you would like to perform in the problem situation.
3. Identify the differences in the submodalities of each experience.
Modalities are the five senses, more specifically what you See, Hear, and Feel in these situations.
The Submodalities are the finer details are qualities of the Modalities like size of image, location, volume of the sound, warmth or coolness of the feeling, etc.
Compare and contrast the submodalities of the problem situation and the situation you perform well in.
4. Associate into the problem situation where you're dealing with the content of the problem. Now change your experience of that content by changing the submodalities one at a time to match the submodalities of the resourceful situation in which you perform well.
An example of this would be if you notice that your field of vision in the problem situation is very narrow but in the high performing situation your vision is broad and panoramic. You would then change your narrow field of vision in the problem situation to match the broad, panoramic field of vision in the resourceful, high performing situation.
Do this for all of the submodalities
5. Test: Do you feel more resourceful in the problem situation after changing the submodalities? If not, keep adjusting the submodalities of the problem situation until it matches the submodalities of the resourceful, high performing submodalities.
6. Future Pace: Imagine the next time you will be in the problematic situation. Imagine now the new submodalities and adjustments you've made. How are you dealing with the problem when these changes? See yourself performing well and resourcefully.
Have fun with this!
Life Mastery Teacher & Coach
Damon Cart is considered to be a natural talent by some of the best NLP trainers in the world. His approach to guiding and teaching students brings to their awareness that they've been doing NLP all of their lives without realizing it and he empowers them with skills and resources to thrive and reach their full potential. With the understanding of how Neuro Linguistic Programs create one’s experience a person can then take charge of those programs and create the experience and the life they want. By taking this approach into his own rigorous, daily NLP practice Damon has been able to rapidly accelerate his progress in learning, coaching clients and teaching workshops.